List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fundamental KDE Library Problem..
From:       Matthew Tedder <matthew () tedder ! com>
Date:       2002-07-04 20:07:56

On Thursday 04 July 2002 10:30 am, Andreas Pour wrote:
> John Gluck wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > All the old stuff repeats a nauseam...
>
> Hi,
>
> Being not a developer, but having spent years on the lists and seeing
> these dynamics repeated, I have a different (if, IMHO, more enlightened)
> view of this process.
>
> > 1- Suggestion = complaint.
>
> This really is a gross misconception, particularly inapt for the current
> "suggestion", to wit, that an OSS project stop being OSS and become a
> commercial project where someone imposes some blueprint and then some
> volunteer army implements it out of their love of following orders.

In this entire thread, no one gave anything resembling an "order" nor
criticizing any KDE developer for bad work.  Quite the opposite.

How does one make a non-offending statement to raise awareness of a problem
or suggest solutions without being perceived as "commanding" KDE developers?

Why are you creating antagonism here?  As a programmer, I take suggestions
and constructive criticism as a blessing...  I don't automatic assume people
are attacking me.  Users using and liking my software makes me feel like I
truelly accomplished something...something meaningful.  User feedback is
crucial for acheiving that.

Calm down a little...  Relax... Nobody I know is out to get you.  It's not
like KDE developers haven't had a lion's share of praise for OSS work.  I
only hope all the praise hasn't created a sense of arrogance that makes it
hard for you to accept suggestions and constructive criticism.

You've taking things WAY out of context.

Matthew

--
Anything that can be logically explained, can be programmed.