List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fundamental KDE Library Problem..
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2002-07-03 12:39:07

> > (1)  Backward compatibility between major versions is also necessary.
> > (2)  The lack of source compatibility between lesser revisions is also
> >        greatly discourages new KDE programmers.
>
> > This is no weak argument--it's a clear death blow to Linux on the Desktop
> > any time soon.  The problem can be resolved by simply building
> > compatibility libraries.
>
> Please allow me showing up with the sixty-four thousand dollar question:
>     Are you willing to develop/maintain these compatibility libraries?

They are available, and they are simply old library versions compiled under
current compiler ;-). That makes kde 1 and kde 2 apps work fine under redhat
7.3, for example.

As far as development is concerned, I don't think any company which wants to
develop for kde needs to take former versions into account; kde 3 is the
platform everybody can use (it costs nothing to upgrade, you know).

Cheers, Kuba Ober