List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Fundamental KDE Library Problem..
From:       Matthew Tedder <matthew () tedder ! com>
Date:       2002-07-02 13:57:12

Question:

    Does anyone have an answer for the main dilema posed in this article,
unfortunately he has a very good point and it's a question that I and other
programmers I know have often asked:

http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=122

    By far the most difficult thing about KDE programming is the lack of
backward compatibility.  This problem renders the costs of maintaining
software very prohibitively high.  This is true for binary apps, but is also
frustrating to program.

    Many good programmers who have been enticed by the technically superior
fundamentals of KDE.  However, few of those have stayed the course...  Most
give up as soon as they discover how frequently changes occur breaking
backward compatibility.

    One of the best programmers I have ever known once determined that Open
Source will never effectively work on the desktop, because it's far too
unstable.  He meant that you can't meaningfully program for it without great
cost in time/money to babysit the software for the constantly changing
platform.

    If KDE libraries were as developmentally stable as glibc, then KDE would
have 5 times or more applications, developers, and refinement of older apps.
This has killed real progress for both KDE and GNOME and rendered the
platforms realistically unviable for most commercial enterprises.

    As for the article's praise of the GNOME Foundation, I totally disagree.
Perhaps the KDE League needs a jumpstart but putting corporate executives in
control of the future of KDE development would be a serious mistake.

Matthew