List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Screensavers
From:       Martin Jones <mjones () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-07-01 8:22:30

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:02, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

> On Saturday 29 June 2002 07:47 am, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > I am thinking from the state of disrepair they have not been maintained
> > > by one person for some time.
> >
> > Disrepair?  Can you elaborate?

This is correct.  We need to keep our current config definitions up to date
with xscreensaver, which is a lot of work.

> > As far as I can see here in KDE 3.0, the only thing that broke was
> > xscreensaver compatibility, and that was only becuase xscreensaver's
> > maintainer removed the feature with the stated purpose of making it
> > impossible to work with GUIs not maintained by him.
>
> Im thinking you just elaborated.  The only reason XScreesaver ever worked
> in the first place is because someone took the time and energy to make it
> work. As with all software nothing is impossible unless you just dont do it
> ;)
>
> Ideally someday someone will have an itch to scratch and they will fix it.

Actually, this thread reminded me that I needed to fix kxsconfig.  I'm halfway
through making kxsconfig use the xscreensaver xml files for configuration.
The problem is that the xml files are put in
${GNOME_DATADIR}/control-center/screensavers if you have gtk installed, and
aren't installed at all if you don't.  So we will probably need to ship the
xml files ourselves, but at least we can easily keep up to date.

I'm also making previews work with xscreensaver again.

Martin.