List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Screensavers
From:       Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodtele () mccammon ! ucsd ! edu>
Date:       2002-06-29 21:31:40

> Xscreensaver author Jamie Zawinski seems to think there are problems with KDE
> screensavers, but in his 2002-04-03 post to this list he doesn't really
> explain what those problems are (why are multiple configuration tools are
> bad?)  What are the issues here?  I've looked briefly at the GTK xscreensaver
> setup tool shipped with RedHat 7.3 and there doesn't seem to be any GUI
> configuration for the savers - you just type command line arguments in a
> string widget.  This doesn't seem suitable for either desktop project
> (GNOME/KDE).

A couple of points on this metter:

- Xscreensavers 4.02 and up DO work with KDE's kdesktop_lock
  http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=101787059008234&w=2
  This is exactly why people don't waste their time with kscreensavers -
  why port what already works?

- Kcontrol kscreensaver module is not as flexibile as xscreensaver-demo.
  There is no way to select 3-5 screensavers for later random picking
  amongst them only. (this is what really needs improvement.

- (personnaly) I think kscreensaver's pipes are uglier than xscreensaver's.
  kscreensaver collection is several times smaller.

- just too many bugs:
  http://bugs.kde.org/db/pa/lkscreensaver.html

sincerely, a.