List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RTL and KDE vs. QT
From:       Arash Zeini <kde () farsikde ! com>
Date:       2002-06-29 10:24:47

On Friday 28 June 2002 21:07, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > Mostly Qt. But KDE apps which implement their own text layout stuff
> > > need to reimplement/reuse Qt's mechanism.
> >
> > Do KDE developers know this from a 'written' source? Is there any manual
> > out there in this regard?
>
> As far as konsole is concerned I am absolutely clueless about how things
> should behave in the face of BIDI, it's not so much the BIDI aspect itself
> as well as the interaction between BIDI, shell and terminal.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

Are you familiar with "mlterm"? In my opinion that is a good concept to
follow up. There are some other examples available for xterm too. Important
is that you can use commands like cat and less on the command line and
read/write files for example in Farsi.
Emacs ran from within mlterm supports Farsi quite well.

An important issue on the command line (i.e. for konsole) is the support for
a Farsi keyboard. To open files, saved with a Farsi name the user needs to be
able to type Farsi on the prompt. Hence the ability to change console
keyboard layouts is essential. This should probably be integrated in KDE:
When you change the keyboard layout, it should automatically change it for
the Konsole too. With a group change option you should then be able to change
between different layouts. At the other hand an option to have the Konsole
keyboard not changed would be handy for people that don't want to do so.

I think this could be the direction here.
I am sure Behdad (CCed) will be able to say more here.

Thanks,
Arash