List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFileDialog patch - request for comments
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-27 19:28:11

On Thursday 27 June 2002 10:50 am, Trevor Harmon wrote:
> On Thursday 27 June 2002 4:12 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 June 2002 10:25 am, Trevor Harmon wrote:
> > > A possibly big problem is binary compatibility, which I don't know much
> > > about. I think that by changing the constuctor's signature, any KDE 3.0
> > > program that uses KFileDialog would have to be recompiled if this patch
> > > is applied for KDE 3.1. Is this correct?
> >
> > To overcome that you can add a second constructor which takes an extra
> > argument.
>
> OK, done. I had to add a new protected function to handle the common
> initialization code for both constructors. (IOW, I re-factored.)
>
> Something else I just thought of...I had to add a new data member to a
> dynamically allocated struct (KFileDialogPrivate) in order to save a copy
> of the QWidget pointer. But according to the following, adding data members
> to non-static structs breaks binary compatibility:

Yes, but since these private structs are not part of the API it is not a
problem since they are not used outside the kfiledialo implementation itself.

In fact, that's the reason why we use FooBarPrivate *d; all over the place.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com