List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Java and auto-proxy doesn't work
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2002-06-26 7:13:36

> Yes and no. The method proxyForURL(KURL url) could be used which seems to
> respect the pac file settings. But unfortunately, the proxy setting is system
> wide in java. It is difficult to change during runtime because all applets
> are executed by the same virtual machine and if you load an applet e.g. from
> localhost (no proxy) and another one e.g. from http://java.sun.com (proxy
> proxyserv:3182), things will go wrong. One applet may still be busy loading
> resources while the other one wants to load its classes from a different URL.
> So, there is currently no clean solution for this.
> My idea is though to provide java protocol handlers (little wrappers) for
> http:, https:, ftp:, fish: etc. which forward the requests to the
> KJavaDownloader (kde c++ world), which could then handle everything correctly
> - including proxy settings - and cookies.
> Look here for more informations on this topic:
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/protocolhandlers/
> Although I already started experimenting with it, I haven't yet got something
> really working. It's all a bit tricky if you do not want to reimplement the
> whole protocols. If anyone has made experiences in java implemeting own
> protocol handlers or, what we need here, overloading/redirecting existing
> ones, he/she is welcome to help.

Just a stupid question then. How does Netscape handle this? I'm using a proxy
script with Netscape and Java works nice (although I never tried to load a
local applet and a remote one). Until a real solution is found, couldn't
a small workaround be added so that Java can work with a proxy script. I guess
that in most of the cases, you want to load remote applets, meaning to use
the HTTP proxy. Couldn't the JVM be started then by default with the HTTP
proxy, obtained from proxyForURL()?

Bye.
Michael.