List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDM choosing Language
From:       Jay Cornwall <jay () evilrealms ! net>
Date:       2002-06-23 11:23:24

On Sunday 23 Jun 2002 05:00, Matthew Tedder wrote:

>    Feature request:  Can you possibly add a way to select the language when
> logging in?  I run a computer lab where people of different nationalities
> would like to login and read/write in their native languages--Korean,
> Japanese, Arabic, Chinese, etc..  I also have a friend who's Korean company
> needs to provide multiple language support.

Coincidentally, I've just finished writing a program (Kilt) to do this very
thing. It isn't part of KDM, but rather an icon that sits in the system tray
and lets you change the country/keyboard/language (a la KXKB) on the fly.

I've a couple more changes to make to the code this morning, and then I'll
send a mail to kde-usability and see what people think about the idea.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of KXKB I've been unable to follow my
original plan and develop Kilt as a separate application. As such, my new
plan is to replace KXKB completely; I've no idea how popular this idea is
(coming from a developer who hasn't contributed any code to KDE before), but
I guess we'll soon find out. :)

Either way, you should be able to pretty much run Kilt without any changes to
KDE.

Cheers,
Jay