List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPassivePopup is public?
From:       "Richard Moore" <rich () xmelegance ! org>
Date:       2002-06-12 22:24:14

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@olympusproject.org>
To: <kde-usability@mail.kde.org>
Cc: <kde-devel@kde.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 7:20 PM

> On June 12, 2002 12:08 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > On Wednesday June 12, 2002 10:49, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > according to lxr it is used in three apps: kview, noatun's systray and
> > > krfb. so it isn't used in many places (though the person who moved it
in
> > > CVS should have taken care of this!)
> >
> > You know, if kpassivepopup were made to be just another type of
> > KNotification, then there wouldn't be any dependencies anywhere else in
> > KDE, and users could use it as much or as little as they wanted.
> >
> > The argument would just be shifted to what the defaults are. :-)
>
> this is a very good solution for the text-based use cases (is that all it
is
> used for currently? because there are some more sophisticated usages for
KPP
> atm, such as icons, custom widgets, etc...) ... so this could well be a
good
> solution for current usage.
>
> but since it is more flexible than a KNotification (as far as i
understand,
> anyways), we still need to deal with the other issues in the meantime ...
>
> so now to make the necessary knotify patches =)

Uhh, since I've already posted a draft patch for exactly that to this list,
I'll point
you at the archive. You might also want to look at 3.1 todo list.

You might also want to think about this:

The concepts it implements were discussed for a long time on the kde-look
mailing list, they were also discussed on kde-core-devel in addition it has
been
discussed on the xdg mailing list as a possible extension to the NET
protocol. It has
also been on the todo list for the 3.1 release for months (and I released a
demo of
the code on kde-core-devel at the time, leading to long discussions about
using it
with KNotify). These discussions are the reason why it handles nicely all
the
awkward situations such as working with system tray icons, windows which
skip
the taskbar etc. and working nicely without needing any hooks from the
window
manager.

I'm open to ideas, but simply removing it at almost no notice, breaking a
number
of apps both inside and outside the cvs as well as breaking the kdelibs
compile is
not the way to get things done. It has pissed me off a great deal, and makes
me
consider if it's worth while putting my effort towards KDE any more (after
thousands of lines of code and years of work).

Rich.
ps. I forgot that it was also discussed on the kmail list.