List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Addressbook - link to advance contacts ?
From:       Bryan Brunton <bryanbrun () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-12 6:50:49

Ok, a voice of reason here.  Hazaa for Don!

We all like alternatives right?  That's what KDE is about.  I really see nothing wrong with
providing an alternative so when the user clicks on that little addressbook icon in KMail an
alternative addressbook can be launched.  That is all that I would like to see happen.

Why this insistence on a libkabc straight jacket?

If I can go into KControl and under "Preferred Email Client" enter an executable of my choice so
that something besides KMail launches, then surely there is nothing wrong with adding the ability
to enter a "Preferred Address Book" option?

And this can be done so easily!  Little fuss, no muss.  Its a great inter-operability feature!  We
can all hold it up and shout about and love and cherish it and when the executives at IBM see it,
they will give us lots of money.

<< Hmm. I'm a kde-pim guy. I wrote the initial version of KAddressBook. I
think the KAddressBook scalability criticism is valid.

I'm also a KMail guy. I've argued that multiple address book frontends
and even backends can make sense. In KDE2 KMail supported three
different address books and I wrote the KMail code to support that.

But those three address books were all KDE addressbooks in the sense
that the code for them was in cvs, and the authors were trying to
work together and create KDE standards.

If a had more time perhaps I could work on a mutually acceptable
solution. I really would like to do that. But my feeling is that you
would have been better off contributing to KAddressBook or kabc
making them scalable. Or alternative you could try to create some
kind of (desktop independent?) addressbook standard.

I think your chance of obtaining an outcome that you are happy with is
slim unless you can find some solution that is beneficial for KDE as
well as yourself. >>