List:       kde-devel
Subject:    ioslaves
From:       Simon Robins <mail () srobins ! org>
Date:       2002-06-10 10:18:29

Hi
I'm new here so go easy... I had a look in the archives and didn't find an
answer to my question, but apologies if its been handled before.

I wrote a trivial ioslave for KDE 2 which executed arbitrary shell commands.
e.g kmd:/ps aux|grep myuser
and put the output into whatever document you were using.

I've tried running this in konqueror for KDE3 and things aren't working quite
as expected.

A URL such as kmd:/ps seems to send konqueror into a spin never returning.
However the ioslave's get method is being called, but it never seems to emit
its data (Also interestingly this still works in kedit)

The same thing happens for URLs such as kmd://blah/foo but not if you put on a
following slash (ie kmd://blah/foo/)

I thought initially this was due to some change in the way stat works, (I
didn't have this method overloaded previously) but according to my kdDebug
output its not being called in these instances.

What I would ideally like to do is call commands like this:
kmd:ps
sort of like the man slave does and receive the URL uninterpreted so a user
can do things like kmd:/usr/bin/ps without there being too much leaning
toothpick syndrome.

Anyway some enlightenment on what's going on here would be much appreciated.
If not could someone point me to the source code for a simple ioslave which
does this (like kio_man)