List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-nonlinux] Re: [KDE-Darwin] Re: SUCCESS: aRts works on HPUX
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <snowwolf () one2one-networks ! com>
Date:       2002-06-03 21:25:29

On Monday 03 June 2002 16:02, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, David Leimbach wrote:
> > This is all very good news... I don't know that KDE had ever worked on
> > HPUX before.  [I could be wrong.]
>
> Well, kde 1.1.2 was working on HP-UX 10.20 ;)
>
> But for KDE 2 onwards: no, it never worked.  It compiled in the past (even
> with aCC!), but never worked completely (some things like konsole, and
> kicker run, but others like konqui had many problems).  Besides many small
> fixable problems there is (or was) one obstacle:  Static constructors
> aren't run for shl_load'ed (dlopen equivalent) modules on HP-UX due to the
> way they are implemented with g++, and due to the shitty way, those things
> are implemented on HP-UX.  It can't be made working without major work in
> either collect2, g++ or HP-UX (pick one ;) ).  The effect of that often
> are strange crashes somewhere in the program.  Sometimes when loading a
> module, sometimes only much later.  Although note, that this was with g++
> 2.95.x and HP-UX 10.20.  Maybe they changed it to be sane in 11.00 (I
> doubt that), or g++ has the ability to make it work meanwhile (I can't
> test).  I.e. I wish you luck with this ;)

the gcc 2.xx series never worked with HP-UX 11. Only the recent g++ 3.1 has
made it possible to work on HPUX again. (I actually worked on KDE 3.0 for aCC
for a while, but the STL on the system was broken, so I went back to playing
with Sun CC and Intel C++)

I think porting to 64bit PA-RISC might a lot easier since it uses the ELF
format. 32bit mode uses HP's own wierd format. Having an ELF format might
solve the problems you are describing.

`Allan