List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Distributing i18n Documentation
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-03 21:47:12

On Saturday 01 Jun 2002 7:46 am, Troy Corbin Jr. wrote:
> I'm looking into distributing translated documentation with my applicatio> n.
> I'm using KDevelop to manage my project. KDevelop handles translated Text>
> Strings very well, but I don't see any options for the documentation. I d> on't
> know autoconf or automake, and I'm not comfortable messing around with th> e
> Makefiles because I know KDevelop will overwrite my changes.
>
> Does anyone have any experience they can share with me on how I can prope> rly
> manage translated versions of my documentation in my project? Thank you.

The way I have done it is to make a directory doc/ in which Makefile.am is the
only file, with the following contents:
    SUBDIRS = $(AUTODIRS)

As subdirectories to doc/, create one for each language named with the usual
2- or 5-character language identifiers (e.g. en/, zh_TW/, etc.). Each
subdirectory contains index.docbook plus any image files, etc. Its
Makefile.am is as follows:
    KDE_LANG = <language>
    KDE_DOCS = <application>

where:
     <language> is the appropriate language code, the same as the subdirectory
name.
    <application> is your application's name (all lower case).
This will cause the installed files to be put in
$KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/<language>/<application>/

--
David Jarvie