List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Screen shots
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-18 5:59:40

On Sunday 12 May 2002 22:07, Anthony Moulen wrote:
> On Saturday 11 May 2002 07:22 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
> >
> > > Add to that the simple thing - I asked in #kde channel and almost
> > > no-one knew how to take a snapshot from kwin, how do you "paste" it or
> > > save the snapshot - how do u take only active window snapshot or full
> > > screen snapshot (the shortcuts module in kcontrol gives only 1 key
> > > selection for taking screenshots)..
> >
> > Perhaps the feature should be removed from kwin, then.
> >
> > - --
>
> Absolutely not.  When writing documentation, having a quick way to take a
> screen shot and simply paste it into a document is very handy.  I do this
> all the time in Windows, being able to do it in Linux would be very nice
> as well.
>
> And opening yet another application to do this isn't efficient, especially
> withall the windows I tend to have open (boy I can't wait for the tabbed
> browsing feature).

That sounds reasonable.

I too am not sure if removing a usefull functionanily from kwin is a good
idea when the main reason seems to be that people do not know about it.
This _is_ a usefull feature - currently only lacking of being known about.

May be some of you like the following ideas:

a) Find a way how to tell people about the screenshot functionality:

   e.g. the following option could be included into the common KDE "Edit"
        menu, I would place it just below the "Select All" option:

              Screenshot     Ctrl+Print

        Why doing this?
        Because selecting all is frequently used for getting all into the
        clipboard --> prepare for importing the text content into another
        app.
        Now - quite similiarily - taking the active window's screenshot
        and having this in the clipboard is also frequently used to get
        the windows contents into another app: as pixmap, not as text.

b) Perhaps the screenshot functionality could be offered on an even more
   prominent place (like the folks from Lycoris Linux are doing):

              http://www.lycoris.com/images/menus.gif    [13 KByte]

Cheers,
Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>