List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Download manager
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-05-06 14:52:57

On Monday 06 May 2002 03:07, Doug Hanley wrote:
> On Sunday 05 May 2002 05:55 pm, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 May 2002 23:06, Doug Hanley wrote:
> > > I always though it would be cool to have a download manager in
> > > Konqueror's sidebar.  I never really got around to starting it though.  I
> > > think if one just made the kio::scheduler interface a little more public,
> > > they could easily make a sidebar that displays info about transfers
> > > currently in progress.
> >
> > Which transfers would it show? All or only those attached to this konqueror
> > window? What if I have several windows open, or if I don't use the sidebar
> > or want the download without an open konq window? Note that I don't want to
> > flame you - just some questions that I have about this.
> >

> It could show all transfers from all windows, since the scheduler keeps track
> of transfers globally.  And it wouldn't replace those download windows, it
> would just provide a summary of open transfers and their progress with the
> ability to start stop and resume them.

This is already available - apart from the stop/resume functionality.
Check "Show all network operations in a single window" somewhere in KControl,
and you'll see all transfers in the same window. I don't think this should go into
Konqueror's sidebar.

OTOH I missed today the ability to "queue transfers" so that one can DnD several
 files one after the other onto an FTP site (e.g. from different dirs), and the uploads
happen sequentially (useful when the number of simultaneous connections to
the FTP site is limited, or when the site is so slow and unreliable that one would
prefer to upload the things one at a time - but without having to keep an eye on it).

Anyway, back to earth, stop/resume would be rather easy to add (FileCopyJob
has suspend()/resume() already) ... but what's the point? I understand the usefulness
of resuming a transfer that aborted (and some metainfo about the original URL would
indeed be useful), but what's the point in temporarily pausing an existing transfer?
Or do I misunderstand this Stop/Resume idea?

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/