List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Download manager
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-05 22:04:31

On Sunday 05 May 2002 23:45, Nick Betcher wrote:

> How many practical situations are there in which you need a download
> manager? I've never run across needing a program to "manage" my downloads,
> as if I have hundreds that I need to download. Even for one large file,
> Konqueror can still do resuming and what not.

There are sevaral advantages of managing (also small lists) of downloads. You
can resume a download in konqueror, but only if you still have the url at
hand. A download manager usually also includes an integrated ftp search for
alternative (faster) servers to download from and automatically (or manually)
switching to the fastest one. And it often has some way to limit the
bandwidth for a download. I always thought it'd be great to add this stuff to
the "show network operations in single window" thingy.

--
This project is so important, we can't let things that are more
important interfere with it.