List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: tabbed browsing
From:       Doug Hanley <hanleyman () adelphia ! net>
Date:       2002-04-16 22:38:25

On Tuesday 16 April 2002 01:15 pm, David Bishop wrote:
> Using cvs updated as of yesterday, tabbed browsing only works if I start
> konqueror via "konqueror".  If I use "kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing"
> then it does *not* work at all.  The "new tab" right-click action just
> does... nothing.  I've checked and double-check my paths, and I am running
> the correct binaries in both cases.

I think I know you're problem.  There was a small addition to the profile
syntax with tabbed browsing.  There must be something like:

View0_docContainer=true

for at least one frame or container in a profile, this way konqueror knows
what container to add the tabs to.  For webbrowsing its simple.  Just add the
line above to your profile.  This change is added in the profiles in CVS, but
you are probably using your own modified profiles in
/home/username/.kde/apps/konqueror/profiles/
Your best bet is installing the new profiles from CVS again, then modifying
them to suit your needs.  That, or start konqueror from the command line,
rebuild your webbrowsing profile, then save it.

> The second problem is related to timing.  If I have two open tabs, and
> select a bookmarked page for one, then switch quickly to the other, the
> first one never actually goes anywhere.  This is triggable only with a page
> that is not in cache already.  In a related note, sometimes I will select a
> bookmark, switch tabs, and the tab I switched to will be the one that goes
> to that page, not the one that I was on.  It's like I'm outrunning the code
> :-)

Hmmm...I'll have to look into that one.  Just trying right now, I cant get it
to work.  But I have cable internet so its hard to beat out my connection.
I'll have a look at the code to see if i can weed this out anyway.  Problem
is that I cannot get konqueror to compile for the life of me, I'm convinced
its a compiler bug, so I might not be able to do any development for a while,
until i fix it at least.

> And finally, I cannot save a view-profile that includes tabs, the option is
> just greyed out.

I think the reason save view profile is grayed out is because that is only an
option after you have actually loaded a profile.  Loading konqueror from the
command line doesn't load a profile.  To save it the first time, just go to
configure profiles, and type in a name (or click on one of the existing ones)
and choose save.  I'm pretty sure thats how it worked before tabs, but if I'm
wrong, just tell me and it should be a quick fix.

> Hope this helps track down some bugs :-)

Sorry about the inconvenience with profiles, but as far as I can tell there is
really no way around this problem, other than taking a wild guess at where to
add tabs, which would not work well at all.

-- Doug