List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abnormal behavior with Icons
From:       John Firebaugh <jfirebaugh () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-15 18:20:29

On Monday 15 April 2002 11:11, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > but in kdelibs/kdeui/khelpmenu.cpp at KHelpMenu::menu() line 159
> > i have found:
>
> That's a bug as "go.png" isn't distributed together with kdelibs.
>
> > Kicker installs the "go" icon itself.
>
> Yes and it uses it instead of the "about_kde"-icon. It would be better if
> it used the "good" icon instead (imagine that "about_kde" would look
> different from "go" one day ... wouldn't be too consistent then, would it?)

Actually, we probably want to separate the two: someone requested that the
icon used for the K-Menu be different than the "go" icon so that they could
be themed differently. So I changed kicker to also install "kmenu", which is
actually the same as "go" (I didn't know about "about_kde"). But the use
internally in kicker is not consistent -- sometimes "go"  is used by kicker
as the K-Menu icon and sometimes "kmenu". The "go" icon is also used as the
last-resort icon of an application in the taskbar.

So, lets clean this up. IMO, kdelibs should install "about_kde" and a separate
"kgear" or "go" or whatever we decide to call it. KHelpMenu will use
"about_kde", stuff like the taskbar and minicli will use "kgear". Kicker will
install "kmenu" and always use that for the K-Menu. This provides maximum
flexibility for themes while ensuring that apps in kdebase use only icons
they install or icons in kdelibs.

later,
John