List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: tabbed browsing?
From:       Doug Hanley <hanleyman () adelphia ! net>
Date:       2002-04-15 1:41:13

On Sunday 14 April 2002 10:59 pm, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> > I was thinking of either doing that or just having the right click
> > close the tab, and have middle click break the tab off into its own
> > window.  Because there really isnt any much you can do to a tab other
> > than close it or move it to a new window.  However, it might surprise
> > new users trying to get a context menu.
>
> Isn't it possible to add a small X button to each tab? Actually that
> might make it too easy to stuff up :/ I consider opening and closing of
> tabs a task that is done very often, so whatever you do please try to
> make it wrist friendly :) (both with keyboard shortcuts and mouse
> actions) IMHO using the context menu is *not* wrist friendly.

It is possible to add a small X button (icon) to each to tab, but that would
have to replace the favicon since you can only have one icon at a time on a
tab.  Yes, I agree, we want our users to have healthy wrists :)  Simple
clicking actions seem best.

> > And as for opening new tabs, I guess I could do both
> > Ctrl+Shift+LeftMouse and middle mouse open a link in a new tab.
> > Although, I haven't really looked at how khtml handles mouse clicks,
> > we'll see.
>
> If you do use middle mouse button (which i personally prefer) then you
> should probably make it configurable since the people who use it to
> open in new window might get pissed :) (im one of those too, but i
> would rather open in new tab than new window)

I'm gonna start looking into this configuration thing.  I've never really
coded with configuration, but I probably be able to get the hang of it pretty
quickly.  Once I get the hang of that, I can start adding options like that
(well, if I can get damn konqueror to compile).

> One other thing you could do with tabs is change the order of them. This
> would be nice for the disorganized users (im one:) who open a lot of
> tabs and then read them in random order while opening and closing lots
> of new tabs. Of course the detach feature would kinda solve this too.

You could probably do order changing with drag and drop, but that sounds like
3.2 material rather than 3.1 material.

> And while we are at feature requests ;) it would be nice if one could
> tell which tabs are loading. Maybe use a mng icon while it is loading?
> (im guessing here, i have no idea if this is possible)

I think I could make it so tabs that are loading have red text like in galeon,
or I could have a loading animation like in Mozilla, but again you can't have
two icons on one tab at the same time.

> Keep up the great work :)

Thanks! I appreciate the input too :)

> -Troels