List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Url via DCOP comments.
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2002-04-15 1:24:39

On Sunday 14 April 2002 18:56, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> How does this sound?

However the solution is finally implemented I just want to be able to query
the current working file/directory of every KDE application. I want to be
able to tell that Korganizer is currently working with
"/home/sean/clienta.ics" and not "/home/sean/clienb.ics". I also want to be
able to tell that Kate is currently working on
"/mnt/sites/clienta.com/index.html" and not
"/mnt/sites/clientb.com/products.html". If every application can provide this
then my homebrewed klocker project (which maintains an independent timer for
each window that runs only when it's window has focus) can:

1. Use DCOP to retrieve the URL/CWD/filepath for every application and
associate it with it's accumulating time register.

2. Periodically use regex filters like time spent on "^/mnt/sites/clienta.com"
for a given work week to find out how much time was spent on the "Client A"
project by referencing my time register log. Furthermore, I can break a
report down like "25% Kmail, 30% Kate, 20% Konsole, 25% Konqueror" etc. This
would help me understand how to better allocate my time too.

3. Intelligently open up a session by querying all known recent time registers
for a particular project, and attempting to open up each application with the
recorded URL/filepath/CWD. For example, I could select "Start Xyz Company
Project" and it would be able to open up a Konsole to the recorded CWD, open
up Kmail with the recorded Folder, open up Kate with all the recorded files.
This would be a really great solution for me, and perhaps others.

In the short term perhaps I'll do what Ian suggested, which is dig into the
apps and start adding this get/set capability. I may indeed find that it is a
very large project, but I don't like small projects anyway :)

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.
Cutting edge web design and applications development.