List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: State of Kate in HEAD?
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-14 11:19:35

On Sunday 14 April 2002 12:18, Volker Augustin wrote:
> I just wanted to inquire about the state kate's implementation in HEAD
> is in. Is it usable again? Or should users relying on kate as their editor
> continue to use the KDE_3_0_BRANCH?

You could of course also just install a stable KDE 3 branch build next to HEAD
and switch back and forward. I did so during the 3.0 development, using my
'kde2run' shell script to fall back to 2.2 for apps that were broken in HEAD,
or 'kde3run' if the desktop itself was unusable to run single apps from HEAD.

Worked wonders. Likewise, you could create 'stablerun' and 'headrun' this way,
or whatever you'd like to call it.

Below is my kde2run script, which as you can see is remarkably easy:

----
#!/bin/bash
#
# Run app with a forced KDE 2 environment
#

export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt2
export KDEDIR=/opt/kde2
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export KDEHOME=~/.kde2
export QT_XFT=1

exec $@
----