List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE in the Kernel
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-14 11:14:28

On Sunday 14 April 2002 07:04, david mattatall wrote:
> Ok KDE is a platform independent DE, that is somthing we can all agree on.
> But we can also agree that the majority of KDE users use Linux, and
> wouldn't it be nice to have konqueror built in to the kernel as a module or
> somthing so that It could rival the speed of IE? Is this already being
> attempted? What do you think about this and do you think it is appropriate?

Besides the question whether we _want_ such a thing, why would you want Konq
in the kernel? IE doesn't run in the Windows kernel either. It doesn't make
sense to have a GUI application run in kernel space.

What IE does is preloading about its whole engine as dll in memory. Add to
that the fact that under Windows there is a form of prelinking, so
executables spend much less time in the dynamic linker and you know why IE
starts so fast.

Preloading and pre-initializing the lib is something KDE can do too. Actually,
I did exactly that on my local machine for KDE 2.2, adding khtml to the libs
to be preloaded by kdeinit at the cost of memory and KDE startup time.
Because of those two side effects I don't think we should put this into KDE,
but if you have enough memory it probably saves you some 20% or so on startup
time. It did for me in 2.2, but many different optimizations went into KDE
all around the code, so this might no longer have a measurable benefit.

Martijn