List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_slave and postgreSQL
From:       LEFEBVRE Herve <aegir () linuxfrench ! net>
Date:       2002-04-13 20:06:16

>Why make this a kioslave?

Hmm, I'm not sure to understand the question.

Giving access to an RDBMS within a virtual filesystem, will provide an easy
way to access to data and structures. Konqui will become a marvellous RDBMS
administration tool ...

>And if you have a good reason, why make it postgres-specific? Use QSql*
>and make it generic!

With Harald I'll try to make something generic, but I doubt it's possible,
just because each RDBMS has a specific structure. For example not all RDBMS
allows users, groups, roles, constraints, triggers, function, stored
procedures, packages, user defined type, and so ...

Also the way to retrieve structure informations from the RDBMS is specific to
each RDBMS.

For example, if I want to retrieve the list of all available databases, with
pgsql i'll send a "select datname from pg_database;" in "template1" database;
but with Sybase i'll send a "sp_helpdb" in "master" database....

--
Hervé LEFEBVRE		http://www.linuxfrench.net
aegir@free.fr