List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_slave and postgreSQL
From:       Harald Fernengel <harry () bnro ! de>
Date:       2002-04-13 13:40:13

Hi,

> I've download it, but it didn't compile :-)
> I didn't searched yet why. Probably my dev env isn't set up correctly.

It requires KDE3 and Qt3, make sure that PATH, QTDIR, KDEDIR, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and so on are set correctly...

> BTW, our ideas seems to be different. Your SQL protocol output a stream and
> seems to be intended to transmit SQL request and get back a result.
>
> I wanted to write a protocol wich output a filesystem, allowing to browse
> throw the database structure and datas directly from konqui.

yes, me too :)

I started with html and text/csv output because this is what probably most
end-users like: Enter the connection data, klick on a table name and voila -
there you got the results directly inside your browser...

The CSV output was for non-SQL enabled office applications. Most apps can
import CSV (comma separated values), so you just had to open
sql://blah?output=csv to get your adressbook from a database into KOffice
etc.

Outputting stuff as filesystem surely has its advantages and would be cool for
dragging/dropping data in/out of databases and moving whole recordsets.

I'm currently rewriting stuff to make it more general, so I think it should be
possible to use the same database-access classes for both filesystem/stream
based output...

Best regards,
Harry