List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_slave and postgreSQL
From:       LEFEBVRE Herve <aegir () linuxfrench ! net>
Date:       2002-04-13 12:11:39

On Samedi 13 Avril 2002 13:01, Harald Fernengel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm starting to write a kio_slave for postgreSQL.
>
> I'm currently writing one using Qt3's SQL classes:
>
> http://www.bnro.de/~harry/sql_io/

I've download it, but it didn't compile :-)
I didn't searched yet why. Probably my dev env isn't set up correctly.

BTW, our ideas seems to be different. Your SQL protocol output a stream and
seems to be intended to transmit SQL request and get back a result.

I wanted to write a protocol wich output a filesystem, allowing to browse
throw the database structure and datas directly from konqui.

For example,
pgsql:/hostname/databasename/tables/my_mytable/structure
will return the SQL Script (DDL) to create this table.
pgsql:/hostname/databasename/tables/data/my_mytable/data
will return whole table content
pgsql:/hostname/databasename/tables/data/my_mytable/id/3241
will return the row with id=3241 (if the table has a primary key)

And also :

pgsql:/hostname/databasename/sequences/ to get access to sequences
pgsql:/hostname/databasename/functions/ to access to functions or stored
procedure
pgsql:/hostname/databasename/users/
and so on...

of course :
pgsql:/hostname/databasename/
will display available folders (tables; sequences, functions, users...)

> If you (or someone else) want to join hacking, just tell me and I'll move
> the sources to a CVS server (preferably kdenonbeta if no one objects).

Sure, I think we should work together.

> There is a small problem with PostgreSQL, though: Although the Qt plugin is
> installed and works correctly from any other app, you cannot access it from
> my IOSlave. I guess this has something to do with the plugin initialisation
> and I'm currently looking for a fix.

BTW it seems a lot of people have problems with pgsql Qt plugin. (I didnt test
it very much myself).

--
Hervé LEFEBVRE		http://www.linuxfrench.net
aegir@free.fr