List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question - using --enable-fast-malloc=full
From:       Marc Espie <espie () quatramaran ! ens ! fr>
Date:       2002-04-13 2:23:32

In article <3CB60510.7080905@yahoo.com> you write:
>Lubos Lunak wrote:
>
>>On Thu 11. April 2002 17:36, Pavel Troller wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>  I recently tried the configure option noted in the subject and it's
>>>really a sort of Turbo Switch (TM)! At least system startup speed and
>>>konqueror/khtml are really faster now!
>>>  What I'm asking: this option is present in kdelibs. After recompiling
>>>kdelibs with it will the fast malloc be used by all the packages
>>>automatically, or should they be recompiled first to use it ?
>>>                                              With regards, Pavel Troller
>>>

>> Just rebuilding libkdecore is enough.
>>
>What is the disadvantage of that compile option?
>Cheers
>F@lk

Doesn't buy you anything on some systems, either because they don't support
threads, or they have another malloc entirely.

In fact, this is fairly tied to glibc. If you don't have the glibc, it uses
its own malloc. And some systems may have another malloc, that works faster
than that specific malloc...

This is what I experienced on OpenBSD. fast-malloc is not any faster than
the default malloc, and it's even a bit slower.