List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Application execution speed notes.
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-11 14:53:54

On Thursday 11 April 2002 15:05, Reinout.Mechant@VDE.Akzonobel.com wrote:

> better than objprelink?

Look at http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/242/2001/10/0/6957668/ for some
benchmark results. According to those, -z combreloc and prelink together
reduces relocation time to 1% of the time without any (obj)prelink. I'm
trying to verify this, but according to those statistics, -z combreloc alone
should reduce the relocation time by 90%, and my tests only showed a
reduction by 25% (measuring linking times of qt designer). OTOH, I only
recompiled qt with -z combreloc, no other library (Maybe I'll try with a -z
combreloc linked glibc if I'm in the dare-devil mood.
Something else that my tests showed was a significant increase in relocation
time if I compile qt with gcc 3.x compared to 2.95, not depending on whether
I used combreloc or not. I want do to the tests again bcause I'm not quite
sure that I did all 4 combinations (gcc 2.95/3.x each with and without -z
combreloc) right. That's why I don't present my results here.