List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ICQ client?
From:       Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <duncan () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-10 16:27:42

El Wednesday 10 April 2002 07:32, Carsten Pfeiffer escribió:
> I think going for Kopete (currently in kdenonbeta) is a much more flexible
> approach. We don't want one ICQ, one AIM, one MSN and another client for
> every other fs"$§% protocol in KDE.
>
> Agreed, it's probably not half as advanced as licq, but that might change.
>
> Cheers
> Carsten Pfeiffer

Remember not always the best idea is to include the "most advanced" program.
Kopete is slowly getting features and cool things.... but the UI has been
always clean, nice and KDE complaint from the ground.
Almost all feedback I have received is 50% because UI,Ease of use, Appearance.
And the rest 50% is because plugin/flexibility/features etc.

I used licq for years... and I think it is a client for advanced users that
need a good, full-featured specific client.

Kopete is here to cover the average people objetives. The end-user objetives
are "chat","talk"... no matter if the other user is in "icq","aim", etc or if
the client supports triple des encryption and E.T detector.
Kopete focuses the end-user needs first, advanced features later, and always
without bloating the interface. (We spent hours discussing about how to
integrate irc).

I just started documenting the API... so then I can make a plugin developer
howto. The docs sux yet, but it is a place to start... I will update them
every day. The docs can be reached at Kopete's site.

Regards
Duncan

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett     | duncan@puc.cl  |
KDE Developer              | duncan@kde.org |