List:       kde-devel
Subject:    xscreensaver has broken KDE support,
From:       Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <mmh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-03-31 14:48:48

The author of xscreensaver has broken KDE support quite a long time ago. I
think he dislikes KDE and wants people to use his own configuration tools.

See the changelog entry here:

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/changelog.html
3.30 "Removed the -window-id option from the hacks: it never worked right, and was unnecessary."

Also see the FAQ entry in the xscreensaver FAQ:

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html

	I'm running KDE, and it's ignoring my changes, or all the modes aren't
	listed, or it's behaving weird in some other random way. What gives?

	 Instead of using the usual xscreensaver mechanisms, the KDE folks
	 have chosen to roll their own screen saver wrapper that is inferior
	 to the xscreensaver-demo way of doing things in any number of ways.

	Presumably the right workaround is to turn off KDE's screen saver, and
	then just use xscreensaver-demo by hand. But as I don't use KDE, I
	don't know how to do that. If you do, let me know, and I'll give the
	answer here.

	The GNOME people used to have this same class of bugs, but they
	finally wised up, and we worked together to come up with a solution
	that resulted in their being one and only one xscreensaver
	configurator, instead of two: mine and theirs.

	Will the KDE people wise up and do the same? Only time will tell. I
	encourage you to encourage them.

This has broken KDE support 280+ days ago and nobody noticed, which is why I
mail to  kde-devel.

Does noone feel responsible for the 95 xscreensaver
entries in kdebase?

What can be done to make xscreensaver working again?

If it is not possible, as many screensavers as possible should be ported to
KDE3.

In the past I recall people (matrix)  being discouraged from doing so, but it may have
become necessary now.

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh@gmx.net wiss. Mitarbeiter, IMGB
	La loi, dans un grand souci d'égalité, interdit aux riches comme aux