List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE - XFree86-4.2.0 problem?
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-30 14:11:31

<posted & mailed>

Andreas Beckermann wrote:

> On Saturday 30 March 2002 05:07, Rolf Magnus wrote:
>> On Saturday 30 March 2002 04:34, Matt and Sarah wrote:
>> > I have a problem with some kde apps freezing my desktop.  The symptoms
>> > are that certain applications (mostly Konqueror and Kcontrol centre)
>> > will freeze my screen from time to time - this does not happen all the
>> > time with these applications, and it seems to occur randomly.  Knode,
>> > Kate and Krusader seem to be fine.
>>
>> Ah, so there are other people who have this problem. I have the same, but
>> only kmail, opengl apps and some frew html pages with forms in konqueror
>> seem to trigger it.

I had the same problem recently, but only once so far. I wanted to download a
file with konqi and it stuck when showing me a dialog box (I think it was,
because the download didn't work or I already had the file).

> Can you try killing (-9) kicker?

I was able to switch to the console and killed all konqis - this didn't help.
All konqis were gone, but the dialog box was still there, apperantly assigned
to no apps.
Then I killed the kicker and finally could get the death's head to kill the
dialog. After that everything worked fine.

I restarted the kicker then and I am working still on the same desktop without
being logged out (since 3 days now).

>> > I have heard of a couple of similar issues with other people.  It seems
>> > this started happening when i converted to XFree86-4.2.  It happens
>> > with KDE 2.2.1, 2.2.2, 3RC3 (RPMS) and 27032002CVS (compiled from
>> > source).
>
> I am running XFree86 4.1 from debian woody. Same problem here.

xf86-4.2 on suse 7.3

my desktop is pretty much standard - no special style/theme, etc. I only had
masses of open apps. The applets I have are KLaptop, klipper, korganizer and
ksirc. Then I have ksysguard, ktimemon and a clock - so nothing special.

>> I'm using XFree from CVS, some short time after the 4.2 release. It seems
>> to have started for me when I moved from a Pentium II to an Athlon
>> machine.
>
> Hm... I also have an Athlon...

Pentium III...

>> might be a driver problem. I have an nvidia geforce2 mx 400 card with
>> nvidia's driver (not the one that's part of XFree86).
>
> Voodoo5 card with XFree86 tdfx driver here.

savage S3

Looks pretty much as if the problem is rather in kwin, kicker or one of the
applets...

Good luck in hunting the bug to whoever does the job...
eva