List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO::http_post and malformed headers?
From:       Dawit <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-30 0:03:47

On Monday 25 March 2002 00:27, Chris Wallace wrote:
> On March 24, 2002 11:12 pm, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > On Sunday 24 March 2002 22:36, Chris Wallace wrote:
> > > Hi everybody,
>
> <snip>
>
> > You cannot extend the HTTP headers using meta-data information at all.
> > This something we do not support for various reasons one of which is name
> > collusion.  Anyways, currently it does not allow you to extend the
> > existing protocol handlers (io-slaves) so it will just be ignored.  The
> > only you can fix that is by hacking kio_http to add support for your
> > specific meta-data.
>
> <snip>
>
> > I do not know why this is there since kio_http does not add extra \r\n
> > unless
> >
> > [snipped for brevity]
>
> <snip>
>
> > You might also want to update to 2.2.2 release since there were a lot of
> > bug fixes in kio_http.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dawit A.

> Hi Dawit,
>
> Thank you for your speedy responce.  I will try updating to 2.2.2 and see
> if that fixes the problem.  I do have couple of questions then about the
> API if you can not extend the HTTP headers using meta-data information.
>
> First would be why in the API documentation (KIO::http_post) does it say
> that you must set the content type and why are there methods in
> KIO::TransferJob to set, and add meta-data?

The meta-data flags are there for the io-slave designers to pass essential
data (configuration information) back and forth from the application.  They
were not intended to extend the io-slaves themselves.  Doing this indeed
would be an interesting idea for future releases, but it is something that
will have to be carefully thought if at all possible...

> I have also tried without any calls to addMetaData and I still get the
> '\r\n' combination before Content-Length, rendering KIO::http_post useless
> (atleast to me :-)).  It seems to me like a bug in the kio_http code.
>
> I would like to fix up kio_http so that it does support altering meta-data.
> However as I am on a dial-up connection so a cvs checkout is pretty much
> out of the question.  Is there a way to work on this without getting the
> entire cvs tree, ie, just the needed fines.

the http io-slave code is under kdelibs/kio/http in the 2.2.2 branch and
kdelibs/kioslave/http in 3.0 branch.  You probably only need to get hold
of the the http io-slave source code (http.*) from either one of the above
directories.  You can do this by simply going to webcvs.kde.org and getting
from there or simply using anonymous cvs and checking out the above
modules (i.e. kdelibs/kio/http or kdelibs/kioslave/http) only.

Regards,
Dawit A.