List:       kde-devel
Subject:    [OT] Re: disaster, need help
From:       Lorenzo Delana <ldelana () libero ! it>
Date:       2002-03-29 22:17:26

On Friday 29 March 2002 22:43, Felix Seeger wrote:
> Hi
> I've changed my lilo.conf with kcontoll and now I have password protected
> lilo.
> My Problem: I've never added the passord feature and also I haven't added a
> password.
> Is this a default password. Is there anything that I can do no (I don't
> mean a new install)
>
> thanks
> have fun
> Felix

y can book into your distro by using the boot CD, like Mandrake cd y have
a prompt before start the install,

boot:

so instead of waiting y can try to boot using the CDROM kernel, generally
called "linux", "cdrom", "vmlinuz" and todo this type at the boot: prompt this

linux root=/dev/<yourharddiskdevice> ro

for examples

linux root=/dev/hde5 ro

In this manner if y have some lucky y get the kernel load from the cdrom and
then root-filesystem attachment ( by the kernel root=<dev> option ) until
getting your prompt to enter in root-mode, edit /etc/lilo.conf and remove
pass, then rerun "lilo". No warry about modules kernel version mismatch
because y load in this mode a kernel that isn't the same of your hard disk.
If y don't know what is your hard disk device I suggest another procedure to
get your system coming up...

second mode:

In the first mode y use the kernel cdrom and root= kernel option at boot,
instead in this another one recover mode you use the kernel from cdrom and
let to start the installation, but not install anything, instead you should
be able to get a console to make the hack. If y have Mandrake of course other
distro, at boot: press enter, an then when y reach the "partitioning disk" y
can now:
1) SEE what is your hard disk partition
2) go to a console to make the hack using CTRL+ALT+F2 ( try F1...F8 until you
get a console with prompt # )
   2.1 ) you now, know your <device> that is the hard disk with root partition
   2.2 ) create a directory for mounting the <device>, mkdir <dir>
   2.4) chroot to the partition using chroot from your partition mounted, like
<dir>/usr/sbin/chroot <dir>
this causes that <dir> cames as /, so y now are in your system and y can
edit /etc/lilo.conf, rerun lilo

possible problems: potential problem in doing this second mode, are that dot
all bootable cdrom of the distro supports ATA100, etc.. if y have, or
/dev/<device-name> doesn't exists, but for this when your reach the fdisk
paritioning utility from the installing tool ( without installing of course )
the distro makes these devices somewhere, and usually another console
CTRL+ALT+F5 or someother shows the log of the device...
another problem maybe the filesystem, like reiserfs, that need to load the
kernel module by
modprobe reiserfs.

that's all,
good look

I'm afraid for the klilo tool that causes this thing, but I'm not sure on how
the things was accomplished by you, so I don't understand... in any case, I
hope this hack-mail can be useful.