List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developers, get paid for your work!?
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-03-16 11:01:30

Am Samstag, 16. März 2002 11:02 schrieb Christoph Held:
> Hi,
>
> I am a student from the Technical University of Munich. I am working on
> grid computing (Diplomarbeit).

<snip>

> The idea!
>
> Collect idle cpu cycles from kde users and sell it on the global compute
> market (wich does not exist yet). The collected money will be spent to
> accellerate the development of the user's favorite desktop environment(e.g.
> pay os-developers...).

<snip>

> The technology
>
> A lot of research is done from universities (all open source), some stuff
> we would need does not exist yet, but universities are working on. I don't
> think there is a thechnical problem which cannot be solved.
>
> Tell me, if you like my idea.
Well, personally I quite like the idea but I see a few problems: Someone needs
to manage this, acquire customers to sell the power to etc. And the financial
benefits won by selling the computing power needs to outweigh the potential
costs. Another thing is that if i'd ever find out that my computing power was
used for military interests (for example by companies building weapons) I
would be _very_ upset and say goodbye forever.
The user needs to be able to control the fields in which his/her power is
used.

Furthermore there would need to be transparency: How much money was acquired
and how was it spend? And does this money go to KDE e.v. or the KDE League?

I could imagine building this as a screensaver.

Greetings,
Klas