List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Weird kicker look
From:       John Firebaugh <jfirebaugh () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-14 8:38:58

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 2:52, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 March 2002 17:23, John Firebaugh wrote:
> > This problem is caused by kicker picking up old applet libraries. Please
> > run kicker from the command line. If you see lines like
> >
> > > kdecore (KLibLoader): library libtaskbarapplet.la not found under
> > > 'module' but under 'lib'
> >
> > you need to make a clean installation. The applets are now in libraries
> > like taskbar_panelapplet.la and live in the module directory.
>
> Indeed, I had to remove
> $KDEDIR/share/apps/kicker/applets/kminipagerapplet.desktop, remove the
> empty applet, and then do Add / Applet / Pager again, to finally get a
> working pager applet again. The recent and temporary loss of translations
> didn't make this easy, the two mini-pager-applets ending up with different
> names in the huge Add / Applet menu.
>
> Since the .desktop files got renamed, what about overwriting the old ones
> with a Hidden=true desktop file ? This is what we do in KControl when
> renaming .desktop files, see the uninstall.desktop over there. It would
> help making a smoother transition for people using cvs and beta versions -
> although if kicker stores .desktop file names the user still needs to
> remove and readd the applet... but at least the menu won't have old
> non-working entries.

You mean, undelete the old .desktop files in cvs, add "Hidden=true" to them,
and install them as well? I'm reluctant to do this, because we'd also have to
change the library name in all of them or kicker would look even more broken.
Since the problem is caused by not doing a clean install, it only affects
upgrading from CVS or beta, where occasional clean installs are a good idea
anyway.

Incidentally, there _is_ code in kicker to substitute the right new desktop
files for names of old desktop files in kickerrc. Writing an update script to
do the equivalent would be pretty complex (some desktop files changed, some
didn't, and not all in predictable ways).

later,
John