List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Antialiasing weirdness
From:       Christer Kaivo-oja <whizkid () linux ! nu>
Date:       2002-03-14 7:40:23

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 21.58, George Staikos wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 March 2002 15:48, Pavel Troller wrote:
> >   I just tried to update XFree CVS to their HEAD (versioned 4.2.99.1)
> > and I don't have AA at all! I see "Initializing the built-in extension
> > RENDER" like normally in the Xserver log, I don't see any errors in
> > .xsession-errors, but no AA!
> >   And KDE looks wrong - there is a big spacing between lines. I never saw
> > it before, now I know how ugly it is :-).
> >   I simply moved my X directory out and returned the old one (with plain
> > 4.2.0 - I backed it up first) so I have AA back.
> >   Does anybody know the reason why it doesn't work ?
>
>   Apparently the Xft library was completely rewritten/redesigned, at least
> according to someone else who tried to get qt-copy to build against XF86
> Head and couldn't.

That someone would be me... :)
I did manage to compile qt against the xft2 library after extensive voodoo in
several files (typecasting to char** all over the place and commenting out
the entire qtaddons_x11.c file). But still no antialias. qt designer does
link against libXft now, but well...
Anyway, I've given up on trying to get AA to work, and am considering going
"back" to 4.2 when I get the time.

  -- Christer