List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Advantages or disadvantages of using gcc 3.0.4?
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () t-online ! de>
Date:       2002-03-09 10:55:10

On Saturday 09 March 2002 08:48, Pavel Troller wrote:

>   Maybe it depends on some yet unknown factors - in my case, it compiles
> about max. 20% slower.

Here, the difference "feels" bigger, but I didn't measure the speed.

>   Generated code differs in size - obviously it is bigger, but there are
> also cases it is smaller.

It depends if you are creating debug versions. With gcc3, a debug version gets
huge compared to gcc2.95, even though the gcc2.95 version are already huge ;)
(my gcc3 libqt.so was more than 3 times as big as the gcc2.95 version).
However, after stripping, there wasn't a bigg difference any more.

>   Generated binary doesn't run faster than for 2.95, for sure. I'm not sure
> if it doesn't run a bit slower :-(

If you turn on athlon code generation and optimization as well as use of sse
and 3dnow!, it gets faster (if you have an athon cpu of course). But I cannot
say if you'd notice this with kde.