List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Non-G++ Programming Hints ...
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2002-02-25 16:09:30

On Mon 25. February 2002 16:48, Erik Sigra wrote:
> m?ndagen den 25 februari 2002 15.22 skrev Guillaume Laurent:
> > On Monday 25 February 2002 15:13, Erik Sigra wrote:
> > > There is a huge difference that you missed. The cost of a computer is
> > > caused by real scarcity, which is acceptable. The cost of the reference
> > > manual is caused by artificial scarcity - you are not allowed to
> > > publish it if you buy it. This is unacceptable, because information
> > > should be free.
> >
> > Absolutely. And the people who worked on making it (writers and
> > reviewers) should get nothing in return. And $18 is an absolutely
> > outrageous amount of money. For a PDF what's more, a closed, non
> > browsable format. Oh gee.
>
> I can't confirm the cost of $18. My C++ teacher said 3000SEK in September.
> I don't know.

 ISO C++ is much more expensive AFAIK than ANSI C++ , even though it's
actually the same.

On Mon 25. February 2002 16:54, Erik Sigra wrote:
> Yes, of course it is wrong to assume that freedom means no cost, but the
> problem with the C++ standard is that it is (to my knowledge) not free. I
> can't share it with my neighbour, even if I buy it and pay for it, for
> example.

 You actually don't need the C++ standard, or only very rarely (like when
hitting a compiler bug). A good C++ book(s) does a much better job.

 And now that we all know KDE isn't going to switch from C++ to anything else
in the foreseeable future ... don't you folks have anything better to do than
this philosophical discussion that will lead to nothing?

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak@suse.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org