List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2->KDE3 - Size Matters!
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2002-02-22 6:21:44

On Friday 22 February 2002 06:35, ivan wrote:
> On Divendres 22 Febrer 2002 03:12, Pavel Troller wrote:
> > Hi!
> >   I've found that it also depends on the style selected!
> >   If You just logged in for the first time, try this:
> >   1) Start qtconfig (yes, it seems to be necessary) and add
> >      $KDEDIR/lib/kde3/plugins as the library path. Save the configuration
> > and quit.
> >   2) Due to this, You can now select other than Qt styles. Try to use,
> > for example, "Default hicolor" or how it's called (localization). You
> > will find that the spacing decreases. I'm afraid that You will need to
> > log off/on to see the difference.
> >   I really don't know why this works but it does, at least for me. It
> > also removes the nasty "windowizm" that scrollbars work only with a mouse
> > near them.
>
> AAAH! much better
>
> i was missing something in this beta and now i know what it was, the
> highcolor style :)
>
> thanks!
This is all quite confusing. I already had highcolor in my styles (along with
all the other KDE styles) and I *didn't* have the path to them in
qtconfig/qtrc! My problem was that even while running highcolor, the
menubars/items, statusbars etc., were all bigger (higher/taller?) than in
KDE2. Thus things like my K menu took up much more space on screen. The whole
look and feel wasn't very nice compared to KDE2.

I applied ewald's patch (mentioned earlier in this thread) to the latest
qt-copy and that put things back the way they used to be (mostly anyways -
there are still some style issues that I'm not aesthetically pleased with
compared to KDE2!) - thanks ewald :-)

Anyway, now I've also added the kde3/plugins path to qt (via qtconfig). Qt
Designer now has a highcolor style (and I can't remember for the life of me
if it did before!). But its menu items are different sizes depending on
whether they contain an icon or not. It looks as though they use (I'm
guessing) 22x22 icons in their menus whereas we use 16x16 (guessing again :-)

Oh well, now that I don't know what's being caused by ewald's patch and
what's not, I'm going to go and remove it again along with my .qt and .kde
directories etc. and start from scratch to see if I can make sense of things!

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean McGlynn