List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Broken konqueror (with fam)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-21 20:20:39

On Thursday 21 February 2002 06:34 am, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> > Hmm, if it can create a dcop client it could use the KDirNotify
> > interface...
>
> Good idea. Never thought of this. Can a IOSlave be a DCOP client?

Yes.

The problem is that the concept of IO-slaves is that they are either working
on a certain job, or they are not. The idea that they can also be "watching a
directory" is not part of that at the moment.

So I guess you need to make "watching a directory" a job. Once you have done
that you don't really need dcop any longer, because you can use the existing
signalling mechanisms.

The next thing you need is a gracefull way to terminate a "watching a
directory" job. (Hm, maybe DCOP is usefull there) The usual way to terminate
a job prematurely is to kill the slave but I don't think that should be used
as part of the normal operation. Maybe we could use SIGHUP to terminate a
"watching a directory" in progress.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to it.
 -- Bob Bemer