List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: further kioslave queries
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-19 12:00:33

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 03:14, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 18 February 2002 05:57 pm, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Looksing more at the problem I have with kio-mac on KDE 3 it seems that
> > when I first call error() it is completely ignored and only the second
> > call to error() from the ioslave is displayed.
> >
> > This is the case no matter where the error messages are when it calls
> > stat().
> >
> > [Interestingly when I browse to somewhere else then click back it seems to
> > just call get() and the error problem doesn't occur.]
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea why this could be?
>
> Out the top of my head it can very well be that the code first tries a stat()
> and that if that gives any errors those are ignored and a get() is tried
> instead.

Yes, due to KonqRun's "show error messages in the browser" code.
This has been fixed though, or, well, will be fixed when Hamish Rodda's code in
konq_run is enabled (and the corresponding handling of error:// in khtml_part).

Seems more and more people writing kioslaves are hitting this problem,
it looks like we should fix this before 3.0.

Hamish: I remember you said you'd enable the more complete error messages
after 3.1, for translations issues IIRC... but does that prevent us from enabling
the handling of error://, with the current error messages ? This sounds like the
best compromise to me. What are the known problems with the (currently
commented out) error:// code ? I'd be glad to help.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops