List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Sick of the mouse mess!
From:       "Ben Schepens" <schepens () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2002-02-16 13:20:44

> > quite the contrary: I think it's not very intuitive taht a mouse
selection
> > overwrites your clibpboard selection. quite often I want to copy some
text
> > aand then replace some other text with it. Now if there's only only one
> > cliboard I cant do that because selecting the second text to be
> > overwritten kills my clipboard selection.
> > I think it's much more intuitive if only seletions you ordered to be in
> > the clipboard are actually there, plus it's the way windows users are
used
> > to do it.
>

> Well, this is right for people coming from the non UNIX world. But, the
other
> behaviour IS the UNIX way. It's what people got used to. Selecting text
with
> the mouse automatically copies the selection to the clipboard. Even though
it
> might not be intuitive for some people it definately is very efficient.

I have to disagree.  Actually, it can be a real pain in the but.  The
ability to highlight a section
of text, so that the next operation (key stroke, delete key, or clipboard
past operation)
replaces only the highlighted text, means I can specific control over what I
am doing
in one step (not including the original copy).  With the "UNIX" scheme, I
have to
past the text before text it 'would' replace and then when more (possibly a
lot) stuff on the screen,
I have to select the text to delete.  This also means, I cannot easily
perform this replacement
in multiple places without recopying the text to paste, because my clipboard
continually
get "dirtied" during this replacement process.

Yes, I know it is a religous Unix vs. MS type argument, but I really think
being able to CHOOSE
when you want overwrite the clipboard instead of having the clipboard
overwritten if you click the
mouse and accidentally move in one character, is MUCH more preferable.

I am a reasonably intelligent person who has worked on various types of
computers for more than 18 years,
and I catch myself cursing over that "Unix" style clipboard activity A LOT.

If there were a choice for the behavoir one could specify, that would be
great.

What is WORSE, is having a MIXTURE of both.

Sorry.... had to rant.
</sermon> ;-)

- --
- ---
http://www.richardstevens.de

Unix IS user friendly, it is just selective about who his friends are.

Mailkey: d3a363dc4f0731b57d1ed90a3eadf150
(See http://www.paganini.net/ask/ for details)

<<