List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Broken konqueror (with fam)
From:       Josef Weidendorfer <Josef.Weidendorfer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-02-14 13:59:22

On Thursday 14 February 2002 00:36, Michael Brade wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2002 00:13, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 February 2002 00:01, Michael Brade wrote:
> > > Hmm, the real problem lies outside of KDirLister, I think...
> >
> > Yes and no. KDirWatch should make sure it only says "this file has grown"
> > (and maybe it can make a few exceptions indeed),
> > but KDirLister and konqueror should also make sure they take minimal
> > action when a single file has changed size - no need for full update,
> > just updating the info on that particular file is enough.
>
> Yes, but then please let KDirWatch call KDirListerCache::slotFileDirty and
> not KDirListerCache::slotURLDirty, i.e. emit KDirWatch::fileDirty() and not
> KDirWatch::dirty(). ;)  There's nothing else I can do about this in
> KDirLister...

Hi,
the problem for FAM seems almost solved using Waldo's simple change.
Now you simple don't get any file changes :-)
This was a special case when using FAM. STAT and DNOTIFY never
supported emitting change signals for files in watched dirs.
If you want KDirWatch to say "this file has grown" you HAVE to add a file
watch...

... Or perhaps a semantic like "automatically watch all files in a watched
directory for changes" would be better? This is exactly the way FAM works:
At the moment the additional info is simply ignored.
The same for creation/deletion of files in watched dirs. KDirWatch simply
says "dir dirty", and KDirLister has to check changes. But this information
is already available with FAM. Is this something to be changed for KDE3.1?
I'm not sure...
But I really would love to see file notification working with KIO in a general
way, using KDirWatch in the IOSlave. But I have no idea how to do this...

Greetings,
Josef

Josef Weidendorfer