List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Announce: SQL IOSlave
From:       Harald Fernengel <harry () bnro ! de>
Date:       2002-02-01 20:04:08

Hi,

after hours of hacking I finally produced the first more-or-less working sql
IOSlave using the Qt3 SQL module (only works with KDE3/Qt3):
http://www.bnro.de/~harry/sql_io/sql-0.1.tar.gz

(Yes, I know, the code is ugly as hell, but take it as a "proof of concept"
;))

Usage: sql://host/pluginname/databasename/table

(of course you can also specify a port and username/password in the URL).

Note that you need some Qt SQL plugins otherwise you'll get a nice error page
:) If you omit the table name then you'll get a html-page with links to all
available tables in the database.

Originally, I wanted an URL like "sql://plugin/host/db/table", but Qt SQL
plugin names are case-sensitive and hostnames in URLs aren't... Besides, this
also keeps downward-compatibility with the old sql ioslave ;)

Until now only (hard-coded) HTML is supported, the goal is to have something
like style-sheets so you can create a nice report with database information
in konqi. Another goal is to allow CSV (comma separated files) output so
non-sql enabled KDE apps can open tables (most apps have a CSV import
filter...).

There is a long TODO list (in my head ;)) but if you have suggestions, flames
etc. please don't hesitate to mail :) Any help is also appreciated... :)

Harry