List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: VFolder .desktop Files Proposal
From:       Claes Holmerson <claes () it-slav ! net>
Date:       2002-02-01 11:32:03

(replying to kde-devel as I can not post to -core)

I think this proposal makes a lot of sense, but I am not the best person
to judge it from a technical point of view, not being a developer of
neither KDE nor Gnome. But I recognize that this proposal both enables and
marks an excellent opportunity to introduce the concept of a task-centered
menu hierarchy. (see
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=101170836718835&w=2).  I think that
with the addition of yet another keyword it should be possible to build
something like that quite easily, and still keep the old concept for those
who prefer that.

To describe the concept again, briefly, the point is to arrange menu items
after what the user can _do_ with the programs in a broad sense. Are they
used to play, work or communicate with? The top level menus uses therefore
verbs rather than nouns. For fun, I tried to rearrange my KDE menu to see
how it could look like. I ended up with something like this:

Communicate
	Send a fax
	KMail
	could be extended with newsreaders, instant messaging, sms etc
Control
	Everything from "Preferences" like File Browsing, Look&Feel etc
	but also some things I have in "Utilities" such as "HP Laser Jet
	Panel"
Organize
	KAddressbook
	other PIM applications
	perhaps file managers?
Play
	The 'Games', 'Graphics', 'Sound', 'Toys' categories
	Things you do for fun.
Read
	Help, Konqueror
	could be extended with man, info etc (yes i know Konqi does this
	but for new/inexperienced users it is not easy to know)
	Kappfinder?
	Search the file system or the web.
Work
	The 'Editors', 'Office', 'Development' categories
	Things you do that are work related or produces stuff.

The advantages I found was that some programs was easier to find this way.
For example, 'Send a fax' belongs much better under 'Communicate' than
'Utilities' where it is now, as well KAddressbook belongs better in
'Organize'.  'Utilities' is too generic in my opinion but as faxing does
not use "Internet" it could not be sorted with other communication
programs. Also the 'Control' category became very natural. As a user you
will read the actions out in your head when you select it:
Control->Look&Feel, or Control->Peripherals.

There were also some disadvantages. Things you do with file managers,
package managers, xterms etc were hard to describe with a single easy
verb. That is missing above. But it might fit under 'Control'. Control is
however also quite generic, there might be a better verb that describes
'control computer'.

Anyways, this illustrates the idea. And to tie it together with the
.desktop proposal: if yet another new keyword is introduced in the
.desktop files, it could be quite easy to build. Imagine a keyword
X-VFolder-TaskCategory which holds the verb in question. Then a
task-centered menu could sort the items according to that keyword first,
and then the other keyword.

Regards,
Claes

PS: I am not subscribed, so please cc me if you have any
questions/comments