List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPersonalizer - Mom test
From:       Mariusz Pekala <skoot () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2002-01-31 22:05:16

On Wed 30 January 2002 18:52, Chris January wrote:
> [..]
> Maybe we could look at how long it takes a user to choose a style. If they
> haven't chosen within a limited amount of time, assume they want to use the
> Windows^H^H^H^H^H^H^HRedmond style... :-)
>
> Regards
> Chris

My Humble Opinion (tm):
------------------------------
Noo... If they don't know what to choose, give them KDE style.
I see that you (you all - plural) often try to mimic Windows. Don't you think
that KDE way of life (Sorry: ...way of drawing windows :) is better?
You develop KDE, but suggest users to use Windows.
Imagine, that someone being asked "What system do you use?" may answer:
"Windows, of course. But it's a little strange... It uses slashes to separate
directories in the path... And has no C: drive."

MEN! (and WOMEN!) YOU ARE CREATING GREAT THING!
Force users to see it. Some people may desperately need Windows look'n'feel,
but others don't care too much, and will use defaults. So, why Windows should
be the default in most cases?
The same about other systems: Gnome, MacOS...
The user has decided to change the system. It is an occasion to change some
of his habits - I believe that he  [or she, of course... May I use the word
'it' in such situation ?:-) ]  is ready and prepared for some changes.

If you give user a chance to choose, you may present it this way:
* Windows style
* OS/2 style
* MacOS style
* DOS style
* KDE style (preferred)
Now choose: _

Even if he choose 'DOS style' or another, he will remember that there was
something other preferred and this thought will drill his mind. Once he may
decide to give it a try.

--Mariusz

--

Tego nie znajdziesz w żadnym sklepie!