List:       kde-devel
Subject:    okay -- how'd you do it?
From:       dep <dep () drippingwithirony ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 20:56:26

greetings!

just fired up a build from, i guess, tuesday's cvsup harvest of kde3,
and the difference in the last few weeks is utterly tremendous!

a couple of little issues, having to do with kmail, but basically the
upgrade was entirely transparent -- in fact, i left the room as it
started, and when i returned i wondered what i'd done wrong, because
so many of my configurations had come over that i thought for a
minute that i was still running kde-2.2.1. (a little doc somewhere
upfront about how to turn stuff off would be good -- for instance, my
desktop machine doesn't need the battery monitor unless somebody
wants to tie it in to the UPS.)

what really floored me, though, is that opera 5.0 dynamic still works!
last time i did the qt3/kde3 thing it didn't.

i am amazed. thanks, guys. you done good!

while i'm here, a question of vague relevence, which i ask only
because someone here might know the answer off the top of his head:
to get kdebase to build, i upgraded zlib. i do not know if it is
related (but if not it's a hell of a coindicence), but at the same
time i lost direct rendering of GL stuff in xscreensavers. can anyone
confirm that the two are related and, for extra eternal gratitude,
give me a sense of how to put it right without too extensive hacking
of X?
--
dep

There is sobbing of the strong,