List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory hogging in kdat
From:       Frank Baumgart <frank.baumgart () esc-electronics ! de>
Date:       2002-01-31 17:50:38

> There appears to be excessive memory usage in the kdeadmin/kdat
> package (which I maintain) related to the QMultiLineEdit
> widget.  This widget is stuffed with the names of files being
> dumped to tape.  It displays the names on screen, and its data
> are written to disk as a log file if the user wishes.
> Any ideas what I can do to make the memory usage more
> reasonable?

For any kind of backup program, a list of files being
backuped should be easily obtainable, in kdat, this could
be the log file (being ON as default).
To me, it does not make sense to put every name into a
widget. If a user wants to know whether a specific file
has been backuped, he can look into the log file.
(maybe supported by a kdat menu entry)
If he wants to know whether a specific file is within
a path, he can look at the disc.

I see no reason and poor usability in using a very thin
scrollbar slider to scroll around 100.000 entries.

My suggestion:
Only display the single file or directory currently being
backed up or maybe a fifo with the latest 10 of them.

Frank