List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Memory hogging in kdat
From:       "Lawrence E. Widman" <widman () cardiothink ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 16:24:15

There appears to be excessive memory usage in the kdeadmin/kdat
package (which I maintain) related to the QMultiLineEdit
widget.  This widget is stuffed with the names of files being
dumped to tape.  It displays the names on screen, and its data
are written to disk as a log file if the user wishes.

During a recent run that created 158560 lines of text with an
average of 63 bytes per line:

1. Saving the log file to disk was very slow (over 50 min).

2. The "free" function showed that at the end of the save()
   function, there were 35MB of swap space left on the machine.
   After the log file was freed from memory (again a very long
   process), there were 361MB free (a difference of 326MB, or
   2KB per line.

3. "top" showed that the size of kdat was 235M with
   RSS=215M when the log file memory allocation was freed.
   free RAM during this time was 3MB (out of 257MB).  When kdat
   was terminated, free RAM increased from 3MB to 214MB.

Any ideas what I can do to make the memory usage more
reasonable?