List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPersonalizer - Mom test
From:       David Chappell <David.Chappell () mail ! cc ! trincoll ! edu>
Date:       2002-01-31 15:36:37

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 03:45, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2002 21:39, Corrin Lakeland wrote:

> > 2: They had no idea what to choose for the speed setting.  This page looked
> > pretty intuitive to me but they're on a P90 and after reading the page they
> > left it on the default.  Perhaps we could get the BogoMips or similar to
> > set the default so someone on a P4 2000 had a default of everything on
> > while someone on an old pentium had a default of everything off?
> >
> I dont like this, even if the machine is faster some of the options still
> slows the user down (animated combo-boxes/menus). Also text-preview and large
> icons are just horrible from an aesthetic point of view.

Do you disagree with the idea of adapting the default to the speed of
the machine, or you disagree with the idea that the default for a fast
machine should have everything on by default?

It seems to me that there could be a default for current-generation
machines (which would turn on those features most people liked that
weren't horribly expensive) and a default for obsolete machines that
would turn off anything expendable.

Of course, one wouldn't be limited to two defaults.  I suspect that
three would be about the right number.  One for the current screamers
(2GHz Athlons say), one for what most of us are using (500 MHz Pentium
II class), and another for obsolete machines that can still run KDE
(166MHz Pentium class).